Highlights from last night in case anyone missed the game.
Bucks won 120 to 107.
Greek Freak and Jabari didn’t disappoint.
Knicks Back in Action Tonight, Jason Smith May Get Nod at PF
After a few days or rest/practice.. the Knicks are back in preseason action tonight against the Milwaukee Bucks (7:30 EST).
I’m a big fan of the Greek Freak and of course Jabari’s in town as well. Hopefully they get a good chunk of playing time.
As of two week ago, I have a special place in my heart for the Bucks. I recently got NBA 2K15 on PS4 and immediately became borderline obsessed with the MyCareer mode. I went un-drafted (terrible pre-draft workout), but the Bucks were kind enough to hand me a 10-day contract. I’ve spent the past two weeks trying to work myself into the starting line-up, but along the way, have grown to enjoy the Bucks organization.
Yes… this is just a video game.. but, my feelings are real right?!?! haha.
Anyway, go Knicks!
Btw, I did work myself into the starting line-up and then quickly signed with the Knicks in the off-season.
In other news, since Bargnani can’t seem to stay healthy… it looks like Jason Smith may be playing his way into the starting line up.
As I mentioned in my season preview, Jason Smith was a hugely underrated signing by Phil in the off-season. Good to see him on the road to panning out for us.
Highlights from Knicks win over 76ers: 84-77
Offense looked A LOT better last night.
Going to love watching Dalembert and Jason Smith play this year.. hell I’m excited for everyone!
Had a great time at the game last night. Since it was preseason, got to sit pretty damn close to the court.
Few thoughts on what I saw:
- The Garden was PACKED! Well, not completely, but looking around, there were a lot more people than I expected to be at a preseason game. The upper bowl was completely full. The lower bowl had it’s empty spots, but overall, nice feel to the crowd
- Offense looks pretty bad - especially when Melo is in the game. There were a few times where Melo clearly just wanted the ball in the post (instead of working through the system) and got frustrated when he didn’t get fed - Melo being lazy and just calling for an ISO (or anyone for that matter) and not letting the system work through it’s cuts and screens… that’s not where we want to be headed. Fisher needs to dig into that early
- Amar’e is moving around well, doesn’t seem to be hindered by anything - which is nice
- We have three solid point guards in Calderon, Pablo and Larkin. I have no worries at all when any of those guys are in… specifically Calderon - probably the best PG we’ve had since Derek Harper right? - don’t any of you dare say Marbury or Francis!
- The Wear kid is okay - doubt he makes the squad
- I like both Outlaw and Acy - going to be nice role/fill in players
- Jason Smith - big fan of… he’s not GREAT, but.. solid
- Funny to hear one single fan chant “Landry Sucks” every time Landry Fields was in. The fan had one of those piercing voices that everyone could hear.. especially when it quieted down a bit
- Felipe Lopez was wearing some funky yellow pants and a crazy hat - St Johns alum!
- Anthony Mason put on some weight
The Knicks are back at it tonight against the 76ers (7:00 PM EST start)
Thoughts on Preseason So Far
The Knicks are playing their third preseason game tonight against the Raptors (7:30 PM EST) and I’ll be in attendance to have a look at the new coach and system first-hand.
The first two, they split against the Celtics.
Thoughts so far:
- With a guys trying to learn a new system, there will be a ton of turnovers at the start and we saw that these first two games. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, soon enough they will get the hang of how the offense is supposed to flow
- I was more concerned about the lack of effort on defense the first game - second game, seemed to have corrected that a little. I guess the team was a little too preoccupied with trying to get the offense right they forgot to play defense
- It’s nice to see Barg back on the court and healed up, he still can’t defend or rebound
- First two games to re-affirmed that Timmy Jr is going to be a big part of the team this year
- I’m going to love Calderon
- Melo seems to be accepting this change nicely - key will be when the regular season starts and games start to matter… will he stay within the system or try to do too much on his own?
- I like Qunicy Acy
- Ditto on Dalembert
- Double Ditto on Early - man, excited for the rook
- Going to be interesting to see who gets the starting SG spot: Timmy, Shump or JR
Will have more thoughts tomorrow about the game tonight.
NBA Signs TV Deal… Knicks May Have Room for Durant?
Most likely heard, but the NBA signed (extended) a pretty gigantic TV deal with TNT and ESPN/ABC: 9 years, $24 billion….
that’s 24 BILLION DOLLARS!
Works out to about $2.7 billion a year for the NBA!
To put that into perspective, the previous deal signed back in 2007 was $930 million.
A freaking +180% increase this time around!
A guess what? The NBA Salary Cap is based on revenue… when this new deal goes into effect during the 2016/17 season, you can certainly expect the Salary Cap to balloon from about $60ish million now to about $80-90 million.
I’m guessing Phil Jackson was well aware of this during this negotiations with Carmelo. Instead of signed a two year deal and MAXING out when the new salary cap hits (like LeBron is going to do), Jax got Melo to sign a five year deal and lock him in on current “max” rates.
So… the Knicks will have money this off-season (when Marc Gasol becomes available) and then potentially have max room when somebody named Kevin Durant is available…..
Yes.. i know.. all a pipe-dream, but you gotta admit that Phil was/is planning around this TV deal going through.